Documents required to rent a home
These are the documents we need before we can process your application for housing
Once you have completed the application form, you need to provide the following documents within 14 days. We cannot process your application without these.
We need a copy of the following documents for each person to be rehoused with you - who is aged 18 or over:
PROOF OF IDENTITY
- Passport or national identity card
If you do not have either of these we need any two of the following:
- Photographic driving licence (full or provisional)
- Birth certificate (full version – short version is not acceptable)
- Proof of benefit letter - dated within the last 3 months
If you do not have the above documents please email firstname.lastname@example.org for advice.
PROOF OF ADDRESS
Two documents which are dated within the last 3 months which show the address you are currently living at, such as:
- Bank Statement
- Utility Bill
- Phone Bill
- Benefit Letter
PROOF OF NATIONAL INSURANCE NUMBER
- This can be found on your wage slip, or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions or HMRC.
PROOF OF YOUR INCOME
- We need to see proof of all income such as wages from employment, Universal Credit, Child Benefit, Tax Credit, other benefits, etc. You can send us your wage slip, benefit award letter or a bank statement showing the income going into your account.
PROOFS FOR ANY CHILDREN TO BE HOUSED WITH YOU
- If any children are to be rehoused with you, we need to see either their birth certificate or proof of Child Benefit.
The easiest way to send us the documents is to take a photograph on your phone or tablet and email them to email@example.com
If the file size is too big, you may need to send the documents separately.
Please put your name in the subject line of the email so we know who the documents are from.
If you cannot email us the documents, you can post copies to us, or bring them to our office at 131-141 Ubberley Road, Bentilee, Stoke-on-Trent, ST2 0EF. Please click here for our opening hours.
What happens next?
We will email you to let you know when we have checked the documents you have sent us. We will then either come out to visit you at your current address, invite you to our office or have a telephone discussion with you, to complete your application.