Epic Housing > Your home > Benefit Changes > Council Tax Support

From April 2013, the national Council Tax Benefit scheme was replaced with a scheme run by each individual local authority. The main changes in Stoke-on-Trent are set out below:

Does the change affect pensioners?

Generally speaking pensioners will continue to get the same level of Council Tax Support as before. If you have a partner who is below Pension Credit age, and who is claiming Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance, you may not be protected from these changes and could have to pay more Council Tax.

What is Pension Credit age?

It all depends on when you were born.  Please click here to go to a table supplied by the Government which explains when you will reach pension credit age according to your date of birth.

What about under 25 year olds?

If you are under 25 and actively seeking work you could still get all of your Council Tax paid. The exact amount you will get depends on your circumstances and who else lives with you.

How much will I have to pay if I live in an EPIC property?

If you are aged between 25 and Pension Credit age, and you are the only adult in the house, we expect that you will need to pay around £4 a week towards your Council Tax bill.

If there is more than one adult in the house, we expect the payment to be around £5.50 per week.

Are there any exemptions?

The rules about exemptions are quite complicated.  Further information is available on Stoke-on-Trent City Council's website.