Your Rent

Your rent is charged and is payable in advance. In most cases we operate weekly tenancies and rent is due on the Monday of each week.


We offer a range of easy and safe ways to pay your rent. It is important that you pay on time and in full, otherwise your home may be put at risk.


If you have any problems paying your rent, please contact our Rents Team as soon as possible so that we can help. The quickest way to contact us is by emailing


How Can I Pay My Rent?

Our preferred payment method is Standing Order which you can set up with your bank. You will need to quote our account number (50069842) our sort code (08-90-09) along with your account reference number. You can contact us if you need any assistance with this.


There are a number of other ways to pay your rent:


We work with allpay, our payment collection partner, to offer a range of ways to pay your rent. To register for all the following payment methods you will need the long 19-digit number (payment reference number) on your Easypay card:


Pay online at any time to suit you using a debit or credit card by registering at


Download the free allpay app to make payments via your Apple, Android or Windows smartphone at any time. You will need a debit card (credit cards not accepted). You can download the app from Apple App Store, Google Play Store or via


Use the automated telephone service to make payments at any time. You will need a debit card. Call 0844 557 8321


Make a text payment by sending a text message from your mobile. You will need a debit or credit card. Register online at


Pay at any Post Office ®

Use your Easypay card to pay over the counter at your local post office using cash, cheque or debit card.

Search for your nearest Post Office.


Pay at any Pay Point outlet

Use your Easypay card to pay over the counter with cash at local stores displaying the PayPoint sign.

Search for your nearest Pay Point store


(Please note that we no longer accept cash payments at our Office)



How is my rent calculated?

The amount of rent you pay is based on the size and the location of your property. We set the amount based on government guidelines.


Your rent includes:

  • A charge to cover the cost of building and maintaining your home.
  • Service charges (where applicable) for any communal facilities or services.
  • Buildings insurance, to cover the structure, fixtures and fittings of your home.


Your rent does not include:

  • Insurance for the contents of your home and your personal belongings
  • Utilities such as water, gas and electricity
  • Council tax


Rent increases

Your rent will change every year in line with the government guidelines for housing associations.


This year your rent has increased based on the consumer prices index (CPI) plus 1%.


We will make changes to any service charges at the same time as your rent changes. We are always trying to improve the way we manage the services we provide, so these charges can sometimes go down.


What happens if you can’t pay your rent

At EPIC we want your tenancy to be a success. If you’re struggling to pay your rent you should contact us straight away. We can help you work out a budget and also check if you’re entitled to any help with your rent, such as Universal Credit or Housing Benefit. We can offer you money and benefit advice or refer you to support agencies. We can also agree a payment plan with you to help you pay your rent and stop you building up arrears.


If you do not pay your rent on time, you are in breach of your tenancy agreement. We may have to take legal action which could result in you losing your home.

What happens if we start legal proceedings?

If you do not talk to us about your rent arrears, or if you still fail to pay your rent after we have tried to help you, we will take the following action against you.

  • Notice of Seeking Possession

We will issue you with this notice, advising you of the outstanding arrears and our intention to take you to court if the arrears are not cleared.

  • ‘Section 21 Notice’ (for probationary tenancies)

This type of legal notice applies to tenants holding a shorthold tenancy and is also known as a ‘no fault’ notice. Usually a court must grant a possession order, without the need for a hearing.

  • Court hearing

If you still do not make rent payments, there will be a court hearing. At the hearing, we will request either a Suspended or Full Possession Order.

  • Suspended Possession Order

This allows you to clear the arrears by agreed instalments. If you stop making these payments we can apply for your eviction.

  • Outright Possession Order

This is where the court orders you to give up possession of your home.


We don’t want any of the above to happen to you so please contact us as early as possible if you cannot pay



Welfare Benefits and Universal Credit

The government has changed the way they pay certain benefits. In most cases, if you need to make a claim for benefits (including getting help with your rent), you will be directed to make an online application. Universal Credit replaces:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit


Universal Credit is paid as ONE monthly payment and it is up to you to budget for your household, including making rent payments. You may have to wait five weeks to receive your first payment although you can apply for a payment advance, which has to be paid back. More information about Universal Credit online can be found at


You will find it easier to manage your money if you have a bank account, rather than a Post Office card account. You can call into a bank and ask to open a basic bank account – these types of account don’t let you get overdrawn. You would need to provide proof of your identity and address. For further guidance click here


Support with Debt

No debt problems are completely unsolvable. Admitting you are struggling and getting help is an important first step towards resolving debt problems.

Some places charge you for debt advice. The following organisations offer FREE advice and help:


Share this page