Claiming Benefits and Financial Support

What if you can’t pay your rent?

We want your tenancy to be a success. If you are struggling to pay your rent you should contact us straight away. We can help you work out a budget and also check if you’re entitled to any help with your rent, such as Universal Credit or Housing Benefit. We can agree a payment plan to help you pay your rent and reduce any arrears. If necessary, we can signpost you to money and debt advice or possibly refer you to support agencies.

Welfare Benefits and Universal Credit

The government has changed the way most benefits are paid. In the majority of cases, if you need to claim benefits (including getting help with your rent), you will be directed to make an online application for Universal Credit. This benefit replaces:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment & Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Housing Benefit (for those under pension age)
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

Universal Credit is paid as one monthly payment and it is up to you to budget for your household, including making sure your rent is paid in full. You also have to wait five weeks to receive your first payment although you can apply for a payment advance. More information about claiming Universal Credit can be found at

To carry out a basic benefit check you can visit one of the following:


Our local foodbanks are part of The Trussell Trust’s network of 428 foodbanks, working to tackle food poverty and hunger in our local communities, as well as across the UK.

Click on the links below for information on the different locations:

**EPIC Housing does not promote or endorse any financial products, and is not responsible for the content of external websites**

Share this page